Labor & Employment Legal Assistant Job Description
Reports to Attorneys and Director of Office Operations
- Answers and directs telephone calls promptly, taking messages and following up when necessary
- Prepares and tracks packages and mail sent using best delivery method
- Calendars applicable deadlines and monitors all attorney calendars daily, while keeping up to date with upcoming deadlines
- Provides files and other materials necessary for any attorney meetings, court appearances, etc.
- Initiates communication with attorneys regarding due date(s) for important assignment(s) and when such assignments will be completed
- Files documents and ensures that all filing is up-to-date and in the appropriate placement;
[Filing should be up-to-date at all times. No document should remain “unfiled” for more than 5 business days. It is the assistant’s responsibility to check with the file clerk, office services, receptionist, or anyone else who is assisting with that assistant’s filing and determine if there are any documents that have been in an “unfiled” status for more than 5 business days. If there are, the assistant must bring it to the HR Administrative Coordinator’s attention.]
- Assists with document production and files documents with court as requested
- Timely uploads relevant documents to LSS (TASB)
- Downloads filed documents and exhibits and timely saves them to NetDocs
- Coordinates all arrangements for attorney travel (when necessary)
[The assistant should ask the attorney if they are attending upcoming events and what arrangements need to be made. Once the arrangements are made, the assistant will prepare a file with the relevant information, unless otherwise requested not to. Relevant information includes hotel reservation, plane reservation, rental car information, seminar brochure, etc.]
- Prepare expense reports for attorneys and submit them to Coyote or the Director of Office Operations for payment
- Inputs time as necessary, with accuracy and within set deadlines
- Coordinates back-up desk coverage (when necessary)
- Routes all mail to the appropriate party on the same day it is received
- Accurately and timely prepares binders for interviews, depositions, hearings, and trial
- Undertakes file management – opening, closing, and retrieval of client files and highly confidential case files under supervision of an attorney
- Assists (2) or more attorneys on confidential projects whenever necessary
- Prepares formal correspondence and letters on Firm letterhead
- Maintains all office forms and case files in NetDocuments
- Manages multiple priorities and meets deadlines
- Operates office machines as required (Copies, scanning, mail machine, etc.)
- Coordinates conference registrations on as-needed basis
This job operates in the Houston office. This position requires the supervision of attorneys when handling highly confidential case files. This role routinely uses standard office equipment such as computers, phones, photocopiers, and filing cabinets.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to sit for prolonged periods of time, work with frequent interruptions, and maintain emotional control under stress.
Repetitive hand motions, including frequent keyboarding and use of mouse, pushing/pulling, and twisting, as well as use of hands to type or dial are also mandatory. This job also requires the employee to lift at least 5 pounds infrequently.
Position Type/Expected Hours of Work
This is a full-time in-office position. Days and hours of work are Monday through Friday, 8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. Occasional evening and weekend work may be required as job duties demand. Preapproval by direct report attorney or Partner of Thompson & Horton LLP is required for all overtime.
Please note this job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required of the employee for this job. Duties, responsibilities and activities may change at any time with or without notice.