About Amber K. King
Legal Assistant: Kristy Alonzo | 512-615-2350 | email@example.com
Many of Amber’s immediate and extended family have dedicated their careers to education over the last 50 years. While Amber did not take the path to become an educator, shortly into her legal career she realized her calling was to support public education as a lawyer.
Amber represents and counsels public school districts, colleges, and universities concerning all areas of education and government law including governance, labor and employment matters, special education law, student discipline concerns, employee grievances and terminations, contracts and service agreements, governmental immunity, state and federal agency complaints, civil rights matters, and state and federal litigation.
Previously, Amber served as General Counsel for Lake Travis Independent School District in the Austin area. During her time as General Counsel, she worked closely with and advised district and campus administration on all areas of school law. Amber also served as counsel to the board of trustees. Her experience as General Counsel brings with it a true understanding and appreciation of the day-to-day operations and functions of a school district.
Amber worked as an associate for Thompson & Horton’s Houston office from 2012 to 2015 representing school districts across the state before taking the position as General Counsel of Lake Travis. She then made her way back to Thompson & Horton in 2022. Early in her career, Amber served as a briefing attorney for the Honorable John S. Anderson on the Fourteenth Court of Appeals in Houston, and worked at a litigation boutique where she assisted in the representation of governmental entities.
Amber also currently works as an adjunct professor for Concordia University teaching a course in school law.
- J.D., summa cum laude, Texas Tech University School of Law, 2007
- B.A., summa cum laude, Oklahoma State University, 2004
Licensing & Court Admissions
- Licensed in the state of Texas
Memberships & Recognitions
- State Bar of Texas, School Law Section
- Texas Association of School Boards — Council of School Attorneys
- Texas Association of School Business Officers
Representative Speeches & Presentations
- TASBO/TCASE Synergy Conference, November 2022, “Mission Possible: Creatively Navigating This Brave New World”
- Thompson & Horton Webinar, November 2022, “Balancing Act: How to Maintain a Safe School and Protect Privacy Rights While Conducting Searches”
- Thompson & Horton Webinar, October 2022, “More than Band-Aids, Bumps, and Bruises: The School Law First Aid Kit for School Nurses”
- LTISD Professional Development Conference, February 2022, “Educators and Social Media”
- TASBO Records Academy, May 2021, “Establishing a System for Handling Responses to Public Information Requests”
- LTISD All Employee Training, August 2020, “A School Employee’s Responsibilities Under Title IX”
- TASA Midwinter Conference, January 2020, “Bullying Battles: Helping Administrators Investigate and Respond to Bullying Complaints Involving Students with Disabilities”
- TASA/TASB Convention, September 2019, “Bullying Battles: Investigating and Responding to Bullying Complaints Involving Students in Special Education”
- TASBO Records Academy, April 2019, Establishing a System for Handling Responses to Public Information Requests
- TASA/TASB Convention, September 2018, “What School Boards Need to Know About Special Education Law”
- TASBO/TCASE Synergy Conference, August 2018, “Clear as Mud: Dispelling the Myths of Special Ed Finance in the Shadow of TEA Strategic Plan and State Fiscal Unrest”
- 30th Advanced Government Law, July 2018, “School Law Update (2018): The Status of Special Education in Texas”
- Advanced Government Law Conference, July 2017, Panel Member Discussing “Advising Clients Amidst Uncertainty – A Transgender Issue Update”
- LTISD Professional Development Conference, February 2017, “Family Law 101: Navigating the Difficult Waters of Parents’ Rights”
- 37th Annual LRP’s National Institute of Legal Issues on Educating Individuals with Disabilities, April 2016, “Delivering FAPE in the LRE”
- 36th Annual LRP’s National Institute of Legal Issues on Educating Individuals with Disabilities, April 2015, “Rights and Responsibilities under FERPA”