About Matthew Reed
Legal Assistant: Lin DuBois | 713-554-6787 | firstname.lastname@example.org
Matt works to understand not only the essence and impact of legal problems, but how those problems – and their solutions – fit into the larger framework of his clients’ strategies, tactics, and operations. He uses this understanding, and his well-regarded legal writing, to guide his client’s legal matters to satisfactory conclusions as quickly and efficiently as possible.
Matt focuses his practice on the representation of schools, colleges, universities, and public entities. He has experience litigating complex matters in state and federal courts, and is currently working on Title IX litigation.
Matt has particular expertise in drafting critical motions and briefing – including motions for summary judgment, Daubert motions, motions in limine, trial briefs, post-trial motions, and appellate briefs. In addition, he counsels clients on legal, business, and regulatory issues arising within the scope of their operations.
Prior to joining Thompson & Horton, Matt was an attorney at Sedgwick LLP in Los Angeles, CA, where he represented a large school district in several personal injury lawsuits alleging sexual assault, and was part of a trial team that obtained a trial verdict finding the district not liable. He also defended Fortune 500 clients in product liability, insurance, and business litigation in state and federal courts across the country – from inception through appeal.
- J.D., cum laude, Pepperdine University School of Law
- M.P.P., Pepperdine University School of Public Policy
- B.S., summa cum laude, Azusa Pacific University
Licensing & Court Admissions
- Licensed in the state of Texas
- Licensed in the state of California
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Ninth Circuit
- U.S. District Court for the Southern and Western Districts of Texas
- U.S. District Court for the Central, Eastern, and Southern Districts of California
Memberships & Recognitions
- Texas Association of School Boards – Council of School Attorneys
- National School Boards Association – Council of School Attorneys
Selected Client Representations
- Defended major university in large-scale, complex Title IX cases alleging sexual assault, including:
- Drafting motions, oppositions, and replies
- Interviewing client witnesses, preparing client employees for deposition, and defending client employees at deposition
- Managing third-party subpoena team
- Drafting plaintiff deposition outlines