Elections & Redistricting
Thompson & Horton attorneys regularly advise school districts, community colleges, and other governmental entities on issues involving trustee, bond, and voter ratification tax elections. Our services include:
- Preparing required resolutions, election orders and notices, ballot language, joint election agreements, and contracts for election services
- Advising clients on lawful conduct of an election
- Counseling clients on permissible campaign communications and campaign finance and ethics
- Offering counsel on special elections
- Advising clients on the redistricting process and the drawing of district lines and/or making other boundary changes
We have represented governmental entities on election matters in state and federal court and before the United States Department of Justice, the Secretary of State, the Texas Ethics Commission, and the Texas Attorney General. We have extensive experience representing clients in election contests, recounts, challenges to the use of bond proceeds, declaratory judgment actions, voting rights litigation, and petitions to order governmental entities to perform special election duties. We also counsel clients concerning effective strategies for litigation avoidance.
Our attorneys bring sound counsel and confidence to clients through the entire election process.