Thompson & Horton attorneys bring years of experience and specialization to provide general counsel services to clients. We are a trusted partner with expertise in a myriad of areas, including:
- General school law: Our attorneys provide advice to school districts on issues such as student discipline, attendance, curriculum, testing, and student privacy. We review and revise student codes of conduct and provide training to help administrators comply with discipline laws related to general and special education students.
- Counsel to the Board: Our attorneys regularly advise governing boards regarding the Texas Opens Meetings Act, parliamentary procedure, and other procedural and substantive legal issues that often arise at public meetings or in other settings.
- Policy Development: We guide clients through development of, enactment of, and compliance with local policies that guide all areas of client operations.
- Election law: We help clients with every aspect of the process, from preparing for elections to negotiating contracts for election services to defending clients if disputes arise. We have successfully defended clients in challenges, including a recount petition, a petition for mandamus challenging a district’s decision to reject a candidate’s application to get on the ballot, and challenges to our clients’ electoral systems.
- Conflicts of Interest: We advise governing boards and administration on all aspects of conflicts of interest laws, including compliance with state and federal disclosure and abstention requirements, nepotism restrictions, and civil and criminal laws that government conduct by elected and public officials.
- Open Government: We advise clients on compliance with state and federal open government laws such as the Texas Open Meetings Act, Texas Public Information Act, and Federal Education Rights and Privacy Act (“FERPA”).
With our extensive experience, Thompson & Horton offers clients uniquely qualified legal counsel.