Title IX & Sexual Harassment
Thompson & Horton attorneys have decades of experience helping educational entities navigate the uncertainties of laws prohibiting sexual harassment, sexual assault, and child abuse in schools, employment, and related contexts. Our attorneys serve as counselors, consultants, training facilitators, investigators, decision-makers, advisors, informal resolution facilitators, and litigators in matters involving Title IX of the Education Amendments of 1972, Title VII of the Civil Rights Act of 1964, the Clery Act, and the Violence Against Women Act, and state law.
Our attorneys are at the forefront of Title IX, Title VII, and other sexual misconduct compliance and litigation. Our experience includes:
- Training thousands of school administrators and employees across the country using our popular, engaging, and practical training sessions
- Counseling administrators on responding to reports and complaints
- Drafting and revise policies and procedures
- Auditing programs and activities
- Serving as investigators, mediators, and hearing officers in disputes
- Defending institutions before the U.S. Office for Civil Rights, Department of Justice, and Equal Employment Opportunity Commission
- Defending clients against all types of Title IX complaints in federal court, from single-plaintiff to large-scale, multi-plaintiff litigation, and
- Adeptly managing high-profile issues for clients with the sophistication, discretion, and efficiency they have come to expect from the Thompson & Horton team.
Our peers regularly recognize our experience in Title IX and related areas. The National School Board Association has called on our attorneys to author amicus briefs for the National School Boards Association in seminal Title IX cases. We are regularly selected to train other attorneys on Title IX issues through the National Council of School Attorneys and related state associations. Our attorneys are actively involved in Title IX efforts through collegiate organizations such as NACUA and ATIXA. And our peers in the legal community retain us to serve as expert witnesses in Title IX federal court lawsuits.